Forums

Go Back   Forums > Main Forum > Members Forum

Unread 09-24-2009, 07:08 PM

Default vitamin levels

Hello,
My daughter, Shevon aged 10 is two weeks into the IBD Remission Diet much to her GI Doctors Chagrin, as they want to start Remicade and I am holding off. After submitting the infomation for the Absorb Plus, in addition to information and access to the book "The IBD Remission Diet" I have been receiving a barrage of questions/concerns from the dietian. Of paramount concern to them is the amount of Vitamin A that Shevon is getting through both the shakes and Cod Liver Oil. They are stating that this is toxic amount. They are also concerned that the potassium levels are too low in the shakes but that the sodium levels are too high due to the broth. (They never took such an interest in her nutrition before so I am rather suspicious that the motive may be to undermine what we are doing). Could you comment on Vitamin A toxicity levels. Thank you , Sherry
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Hi, Sherry.

Those are great questions. I'm going to ask Jini to respond regarding the ratios and amount of nutrients in Absorb Plus.

That said, I agree with you, especially given the context of the questions and the lack of such questions previously.

When the body is in an ill state, its needs for various nutrients (including Vitamin A) go up, beyond what the daily need for a well person would be. So that's one factor to keep in mind. Another factor is that you're talking temporary...not being on those dosages permanently or long-term.

Here's some information regarding Vitamin A (and who needs more than the dietary reference intake). This information comes from the National Institute of Health: http://www.nih.gov

Quote:
Fat malabsorption can result in diarrhea and prevent normal absorption of vitamin A. Over time this may result in vitamin A deficiency. Those conditions include:

Celiac disease:
Often referred to as sprue, celiac disease is a genetic disorder. People with celiac disease become sick when they eat a protein called gluten found in wheat and some other grains. In celiac disease, gluten can trigger damage to the small intestine, where most nutrient absorption occurs. Approximately 30% to 60% of people with celiac disease have gastrointestinal-motility disorders such as diarrhea [28].They must follow a gluten-free diet to avoid malabsorption and other symptoms.

Crohn's disease:
This inflammatory bowel disease affects the small intestine. People with Crohn's disease often experience diarrhea, fat malabsorption, and malnutrition [29].

Pancreatic disorders:
Because the pancreas secretes enzymes that are important for fat absorption, pancreatic disorders often result in fat malabsorption [30-31]. Without these enzymes, it is difficult to absorb fat. Many people with pancreatic disease take pancreatic enzymes in pill form to prevent fat malabsorption and diarrhea.

The IOM has established Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (ULs) for vitamin A that apply to healthy populations [1]. The UL was established to help prevent the risk of vitamin A toxicity. The risk of adverse health effects increases at intakes greater than the UL. The UL does not apply to malnourished individuals receiving vitamin A either periodically or through fortification programs as a means of preventing vitamin A deficiency.
(Italics in the quote are mine.)

Finally, Absorb Plus has been used successfully by many people to heal themselves, including myself. If you're starting to see a difference in energy and perhaps some weight gain (if needed) after Shevon's two weeks on the diet, that's your best answer...the one her own body gives.

If she needs to gain weight and she's not, do check out the following discussion thread, particularly Jini's post, for helpful information:

http://www.jptwellnesscircle.com/vbu...hread.php?t=28

Stay tuned for Jini's thoughts, as well.

All the best,
Nicole
Any application of the recommendations in this post is at the reader's discretion. Nicole Paull & Caramal Publishing Inc. are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this post. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this post.

Last edited by Nicole; 09-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Jini Admin

Hi Sherry,

The medical establishment does not agree with holistic practitioners on any vit/min levels - see the RDA's for example.

Vit. A in particular is a hot topic and no one seems willing to make definitive statements for children's intake. I have notified Dr. Najt of your post and asked him to weigh in here with his opinion.

The electrolytes are balanced in the shakes. If you are concerned about her consuming too much salt via the broths, then just add some extra potassium citrate to the shakes (Natural Factors has it in capsule form).

take care,
Jini
Jini Patel Thompson is an internationally recognized expert on natural healing methods for digestive diseases. Her books have sold into more than 40 countries worldwide. However, she is not a registered health professional nor doctor of any sort. The information in this posting is simply her own personal opinion. www.listen2yourgut.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Jini Patel Thompson and Caramal Publishing Inc. (DBA Caramal Holistic Health) are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email.
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:41 PM

Default Vitamin A, why?

Hello Sherry

Should an IBD patient get Vitamin A?

Well yes, in my modest opinion, vitamin A is a crucial component to reach healing in this illness.

I will quote some paragraphs from the book I am writing with the help of Jini Patel Thompson,

"Vitamins are essential organic compounds that the human body cannot synthesize. Vitamins A, D, K, and E are classified as fat-soluble vitamins, whereas others are classified as water-soluble vitamins. Fat soluble vitamins when ingested or administrated in excess tend to deposit in the body, water soluble tend to be excreted via urine.

Dietary vitamin A is obtained from preformed vitamin A (or retinyl esters), which is found in animal foods (liver, milk, kidney, and fish oil), fortified foods, and drug supplements. Dietary vitamin A is also obtained from provitamin A carotenoids from plant sources, principally carrots.

Vitamin A is essential for vision (especially dark adaptation), immune response, bone growth, reproduction, the maintenance of the surface linings of the eyes, epithelial cell growth and repair, and the epithelial integrity of the respiratory, urinary, and intestinal tracts.

Deficiency of vitamin A is found among malnourished, elderly, and chronically sick populations in the United States, but it is more prevalent in developing countries. Abnormal visual adaptation to darkness, dry skin, dry hair, broken fingernails, and decreased resistance to infections are among the first signs of vitamin A deficiency (VAD)

Once ingested, provitamins A are released from proteins in the stomach. These become retinol in the small intestine, because retinol is more efficiently absorbed. These are transported via micelles (micromolecules) in the lymphatic drainage of the intestine to the blood and then to the liver as components of chylomicrons, which are “blood fat transporters”. In the body, 50-80% of vitamin A is stored in the liver. The remaining vitamin A is deposited into adipose tissue, the lungs, and the kidneys.

VAD may be secondary to decreased ingestion, defective absorption and altered metabolism, or increased requirements. An adult liver can store up to a year's reserve of vitamin A, whereas a child's liver may have enough stores to last only several weeks. The blood concentration of vitamin A in blood is affected by several factors, infection, nutritional status, and the existing level of other nutrients, such as zinc and iron.

There is also some obscure relationship between Vitamin A and Iron, Vitamin A is poorly absorbed in cases of moderate to severe anemia, so there must be some sort of metabolical bound between this two components that science has not yet clarified.

Increased requirements of vitamin A most commonly occur among sick children.

The average doses for Children aged 9-13 years of Vitamin A that show some signs of deficit should be at least - 1700 mcg (5665 IU)"

I think after you read these quotes you will see that your daugther really needs an intense vitamin A supplementation. The average doses proposed for undernourished children as a shock therapy is 200.000 units for a few days.

Shevron is not even remotely at the risk of being exposed to an overdosage of Vitamin A, I would say she needs plenty more than what she gets today to overcome situations as anemia, malabsortion (her gut linen is altered), excesive consumption of all the vitamins (stress), not eating a normal and rich diet, etc.

Also I would not be worried about salt intake, if her kidneys are healthy, she might have a lack of salt (sodium) also. Potasium is an issue, I would supplement it following Jini´s advise.

To finish, remicade is not a solution, it is a new problem, solves very little and provides new fountains of worry and distress, I would not use it for my daughter, maybe you should ask your doctors if they would use it for their daughters, or Jini´s protocols. I bet they would choose the latest.

Sorry for the long post and good luck

I hope this helps

Warm regards

Dr. Najt
Dr. Silvio Najt, MD - has specializations in Cardiology and Emergency Medicine and has practiced in both the U.S. and Argentina. Dr. Najt healed his daughter's ulcerative colitis using Jini Patel Thompson's protocols. Since then, he has trained directly with Jini and now treats patients with digestive disorders in his private clinic in Buenos Aires, using holistic protocols.