Forums

Go Back   Forums > Main Forum > Members Forum

Unread 09-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Default weight gain but still bleeding

Hello all. Just looking for some advise regarding my daughter Shevon, age 10. Now starting week 3 of elemental diet with weight gain finally of about 1 lb per week. Currently taking 6 shakes per day with added supplements and fissure heal suppossitories morning and night. There is still a lot of blood in the toilet bowel each time she goes and her anal fissure is still quite bad. We had been giving 1/2 tsp Natren Megadophilus first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but read that this may not be tolerated well and have changed it to the Natren Bifido Factor. I understand that the probiotic is key in changing intestinal flora but with such a flare and bleeding going on I am wondering what else I can do? We have tried a few healing implant enemas but because she is so small I am not sure how much is appropriate. Thank you.
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM

Hi, there.

I'm going to ask Jini to share her thoughts with you on this particular one.

Let me ask you to answer a couple of questions, though, so that there'll be additional info for Jini.

Has the bleeding decreased since starting the diet? Or has it stayed about the same?

The intestine actually has to work harder to pass a liquid stool, as opposed to a solid one. And, of course, liquid stools are to be expected during the diet. I'm wondering if this could be impeding the healing of the fissure in some way. I don't know if I'm right...it's just a thought. It's definitely true, though, that healing very often has to occur in layers, healing the most serious symptoms first and moving on to the less serious ones.

That was the purpose of my questions...to try to get some idea of whether the bleeding is colonic or "just" from the fissure. (Either way, I know you're eager to have it stopped...just as I would be if it were me or my child!)

So let's see what Jini suggests.

All the best,
Nicole
Any application of the recommendations in this post is at the reader's discretion. Nicole Paull & Caramal Publishing Inc. are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this post. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this post.
Unread 09-30-2009, 02:33 AM

Hi Nicole,

Shevon has gained some good weight about 4.5 pounds since starting the IBD Remission diet 3 weeks ago, and over all looks and feels well. Dark circles under her eyes are gone, has good color and has more energy. The amount of blood in her (liquid) stools is worse first thing in the morning. Her second bowel movement at the end of the day still has bright blood but quite a bit less of it. I do believe that healing happens slowly but the fact that there is still bleeding after 3 weeks makes me question why? We give a fissure heal suppository morning and night. I think that we are doing everything right, using all of the recommended supplements in her shakes, mucosaheal, pycenogol alternating with coenzyme Q-10, vitamin C (calcium ascobate) and either 1 TBSP Flax oil or UDOs 3-6-9 oil. Her anal fissure doesn't seem to be getting any better and because I am not sure how far up into the rectum it extends, can't say where the bleeding is originating from. I hoped that we would see some lessening of blood at this point. We were giving Natren Megadophilus but I read this can be irritating so we switched it to the Natren Bifido factor yesterday. I also stopped Shevon's Imuran two weeks ago, could this be causing some of it as her body hormones and immune system adjust?
We are practicing the basics of EFT on our own. I think that it is all helping. I am just afraid of her becoming anemic due to the blood loss. should I be giving her an iron supplement? Also what about the Georges Aloe Vera? I am still nervous since Shevon had an emergency surgery three years ago to remove 18" of small intestine which had matted together and perforated.
Thank you for any assistance you can give.
Unread 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Jini Admin

Hi Sherry,

Is Shevon on any other drugs - I know she is off the Imuran, but is she taking anything else?

There are a number of drugs that:

a) CAUSE bleeding - it's right there in their list of side effects

b) prevent good bacteria from colonizing by maintaining an alkaline pH in the gut.

The other thing is that it depends on how much she is bleeding. For myself, I had bleeding throughout my 6 weeks on the elemental diet, but it was usually a teaspoon or less per bowel movement, so nothing to worry about.

But yes, you should keep an eye on her hemoglobin levels and then supplement with iron according to the directions in LTYG (and buffer with George's to prevent irritation).

Lastly, YES, holistic healing takes TIME. She didn't get this bad in a few weeks, and she's not going to heal completely in a few weeks. Be sure you're using the chart (CD-rom in LTYG) to keep track of her symptoms so you can track her progress. As long as she is showing improvement, she is healing - another reason why it's very important to use EFT for both of you to deal with the emotional ups and downs of healing and also to get at the bigger issue underneath her illness - that caused it in the first place.

Remember, you can be doing 100% of the physical therapies, but if you are not healing the emotional, you will not see success.

take care,
Jini
Jini Patel Thompson is an internationally recognized expert on natural healing methods for digestive diseases. Her books have sold into more than 40 countries worldwide. However, she is not a registered health professional nor doctor of any sort. The information in this posting is simply her own personal opinion. www.listen2yourgut.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Jini Patel Thompson and Caramal Publishing Inc. (DBA Caramal Holistic Health) are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email.
Unread 10-01-2009, 01:48 AM

Thank you Jini,
Shevon is on no other medications, just 100% following protocol as set out by you. The bleeding is probably only about a teaspoon to a tablespoon in the toilet. I guess maybe it looks worse than it is and it has only been 3 weeks since starting the diet. I guess I am just feeling a little nervous since we have to go back to see Shevon's GI at the end of October. I have been trying to find another doctor but it seems that all the GI doctors just follow the same protocol of drugs, and after reading the medical information on Remicade (also check out the Health Canada Website regarding this drug) I would not give it to my dog. Unfortunately, I am an army of one going against the medical establishment. I did speak with a lawyer regarding my rights to choose holistic health care for my child and she informed me that if I refuse to follow the doctors drug protocols and 'they' feel it is causing harm to Shevon they can call in social services and force the issue. I am wondering if there are any other parents out there who are having the same anxiety around this issue, or have had to actually face this at some point.
Also if anyone happens to know of any holistic minded MDs or GI doctors I would like to know.
Thanks again Jini, for your advice and for all the research and work you are doing. Best Regards, Sherry
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Hi, Sherry.

What general area of Canada are you in (unless you don't mind travelling to see a doctor)? Maybe that will help people respond to the question about holistic minded doctors...

I am acquainted with one couple who went through legal issues over their prematurely-born twins because they wanted to pursue one medical treatment plan and their doctors wanted to do something different. The doctors pursued a court order and believe it or not, the court building was shut down for the day because of a bomb threat! (The couple assured us that they had nothing to do with that!) In the meantime, the medical team did agree to give the treatment the parents wanted (since something had to be done) and the babies both responded really well to it. So they dropped the pursuit of a court order (their concern in the first place was for the kids...and maybe for their own liability, too...so once the twins were clearly improving, there was no reason to be hard-nosed about the issue) and both twins, who are two or three years old now, are doing well. I saw them this summer.

That happened in the States, so I don't know how much of a difference that makes in terms of what the laws are, etc.
Any application of the recommendations in this post is at the reader's discretion. Nicole Paull & Caramal Publishing Inc. are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this post. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this post.
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Hi there,

Remicade is a "best seller" that is being enforced by the drug companies to be used in a huge variety of situations, they want to use it in children, although there is no evidence the benefits would be better than the side effects. just for you to show it to your docs,

"Wednesday, August 3, 2009, USA Today's Life section titled "Arthritis drugs linked to cancer in children"

The Food and Drug Administration added stronger warnings Tuesday to a group of best selling drugs used to treat arthritis and other inflammatory diseases, saying the drugs can increase the risk of cancer in children and adolescents. The FDA said the drugs appear to increase risk of cancer after they are used beyond 2.5 years. The agency studied several dozen reports of cancer in children taking the drugs; some cancers were fatal. Half of the patients had lymphomas, a cancer that attacks the immune system. Drugs getting the stronger "black box" warning include Abbott Laboratories' Humira; Johnson and Johnson's Remicade and Simponi; Enbrel, which is co-marketed by Amgen Inc and Wyeth; and Blegian drugmaker UCBs Cimiczia."

If you need more data I can gladly provide it to you.

Warm regards

Dr. Najt
Dr. Silvio Najt, MD - has specializations in Cardiology and Emergency Medicine and has practiced in both the U.S. and Argentina. Dr. Najt healed his daughter's ulcerative colitis using Jini Patel Thompson's protocols. Since then, he has trained directly with Jini and now treats patients with digestive disorders in his private clinic in Buenos Aires, using holistic protocols.
Unread 10-06-2009, 05:32 AM

Thank you for your response Dr. Njat.
I would be very interested if you could provide any further links regarding Remicade and/or other drugs used to treat IBD and possible links to cancer.
I found on the Health Canada Website in the Drugs and Health Products section a Public Communication issued July 27,2006
Subject: Possible Associatation of Remicade with a rare form of cancer in children and young adults with crohn's disease.
It goes on to state that:
"Remicade is not authorized in Canada for use in Children. A rare form of cancer, a lymphoma that affects the liver and spleen has been reported in children and young adults taking Remicade for Crohn's disease.......as a result, the role of Remicade in causing this cancer is not clear"

In addition to the above, of great concern to not have Shevon on Remicade is the fact that her maternal grandfather had cancer (sarcoma), her maternal grandmother has breast cancer, my sister (her aunt) has cancer (synovial sarcoma) and Shevon's father has (non-Hodgkins) lymphoma. I don't think it would take a rocket scientist to see that there may already be a predisposition in her genes and adding a drug like Remicade may be no less than injecting her with a loaded gun.

Now as for how Shevon is doing, she is steadily gaining weight. When she started elemental diet (we are in week 4) she weighed 48 pounds and she is now 54 pounds. Bleeding is minimal but anal fissure is still quite large and open. Maybe these are the last things to heal up. Generally is there any kind of time line that you could give me as a general guide line? That is my only technical question today.

Also, to answer your question, Nicole we are in Central Alberta. There are some 'naturopaths' here but one needs to be most careful in their selection. When Shevon was first diagnosed we saw one in Edmonton since I wanted to look into a holistic approach. He prescribed some sort of high fibre powder added to water. It was shortly after that she ended up in surgery. Even the surgeons were surprised by what they found in her intestines. They said it was like gravel. Later I found out that this fellow was a vetrinarian.....true story. We have done a lot of searching to find Jini Patel Thompson and Shevon says her guts are telling her this protocol is healing her....so thank you.
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:35 PM

That's wonderful that she's continuing to gain weight!

The timeline for healing is different for everyone and depends on an awful lot of factors, so it's impossible to give any hard and fast guidelines. I can tell you that it's generally best to work on supporting the body through more serious symptoms first and then working through to the less serious ones over time.

I wouldn't expect you to see complete healing of every symptom in six weeks on the IBD Remission Diet. (I didn't either. For instance, I followed Jini's Wild Oregano Protocol, cycling through the various phases depending on my symptoms at the time, for about eighteen months.) What you can expect to see is a great deal of progress...a big jump start on healing.

How awful...your experience with a naturopath who turned out to be a veterinarian!! You must have felt so betrayed!

Hopefully, someone in your area can respond with a recommendation of a professional they've actually used and been helped by.

All the best,
Nicole