Forums

Go Back   Forums > Main Forum > Members Forum

Unread 03-29-2010, 04:07 PM

Default Erythema Nodosum

Hello,
Last year when Kyle had a severe flare up he got erythema nodosum on his legs. At that time he was on Prednisone, 6-MP, Imuran, and Pentasa. We thought the medications were the culprit.
Now, Kyle has been off all medications for 7 months. Three weeks ago he started complaining about his elbow hurting. Shortly thereafter he began getting these erythema nodosums on his elbows and legs. Most have gone away but a few on his left lower leg and ankle remain. And they look angry....meaning swollen, red and hurt. Kyle walks very tenderly.
What is causing these? Is this something that needs to be treated by a doctor?
Thanks.
Jeannie
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Well, let me gather some information, first, okay? (If Kyle wants to answer directly, great; if not, Mom's always welcome! )

Has anything else changed lately? New foods? New activities? That kind of thing?

Any particular new stressor? (Whether event or feelings about something?)

Let me know...

Warmly,
Nicole
Any application of the recommendations in this post is at the reader's discretion. Nicole Paull & Caramal Publishing Inc. are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this post. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this post.
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:35 AM

Nothing has changed. He is still in phase 3 of the food reintroduction diet. He eats all of his meals at home and pretty much eats the same things daily (which includes 2 Absorb Plus and 3 cups raw milk). About a week ago he did stop taking the ADP (wild oregano oil) since we thought it would be good to take a month off from it; instead he is taking Molecula Silver 1/4 tsp two times daily for the probable mycobacterium.

Kyle is essentially housebound and is not well enough to go to school yet. He has adverse reactions (specifically diarrhea) to the environment. Things like touching the newspaper or text books makes him feel ill. His weight has plateaued at 90 lbs for the past month. He is 5'6" and it would be nice to see him over 100 lbs soon.

We did take Kyle to see a new GI doctor about 3 to 4 weeks ago. We wanted him to assess Kyle's anal/rectal fissures. The doctor thinks Kyle has moderate to severe Crohn's and suggested that his small intestine and colon may be ulcerated and inflamed like his anal/rectal area. Of course he wants to do a colonoscopy but he did not push it; he realizes that Kyle has had no positive response to any of the medications so what is the point of the colonoscopy.

So, of course, my concern (not Kyle's) is, whether these erythema nodosums are a clinical sign that the Crohn's is active again. Or could it be a sign of detoxification? How does one know when to start the IBD Remission Diet again? Would it be prudent for Kyle to do a 2 week Absorb Plus/raw milk diet? If this is a flareup I want to catch it before Kyle starts to lose weight.

And, there are plenty of emotional issues that Kyle and I (and, his father) deal with daily. There are fears (of course) that Kyle has, but denies. Maybe the fear of going to the GI doctor 1 month ago set off erythema nodosums. I don't know. But, I will get Kyle to talk to Quantum Techniques (similar to EFT) founder about these nonphysical issues. He tried Annabel Fisher but Kyle prefers working with men.

There is definitely something blocking Kyle's healing...and it very well could be me; but, it truly is difficult to "let go" and trust Kyle is taking care of his healing especially after his recent severe Crohn's and malnutrition episode.

Thanks for your suggestions and any directions you can give.

Jeannie (I asked Kyle to write but he said it was my "worry thread" so I should do it)
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:14 PM

Hi, Jeannie.

It's a tough thing to answer, because erythema nodosum can have a number of causes...though the general consensus seems to be that they're typically brought on by either reactions to meds or infections. Furthermore, reactivity is also influenced by sensitivity to stimuli. I did read an anecdotal account from one woman who felt sure hers were caused by soy, since she never had problems with them again, once she eliminated soy from her diet.

So here's what I'd suggest.

First, it's great that Kyle has a practitioner he's comfortable with! I think that's well worth pursuing, for the emotional aspect of things, which can have such a huge impact on the physical body.

Second, as he's still in the process of reintroducing foods, given the woman's account that I referred to above, it seems worthwhile to ask Kyle the following:
  1. Does the idea of a food trigger resonate with Kyle?
  2. If so, would he rather go back to the Phase Two foods for a couple of weeks and then reintroducing Phase Three foods one at a time - or would he rather go back on the elemental diet for a couple of weeks, do a fairly quick reintroduction of known safe foods and then a measured introduction of Phase Three and above foods?

Also, given the fact that infection can trigger the painful nodules, I'd also have a look at the immune system strengtheners/balancers that Jini recommends in LTYG. They won't be the only piece of the puzzle, of course, but they could help.

The sensitivity to environment just means that his system is still hypersensitive. He's had a rough road, but over time, as he continues to support his system, that will modulate.

I know it's so, so hard as a parent...I probably can't even entirely imagine, because it was me that was sick, not my child. But the other thing when deciding whether to do another couple of weeks on the IBD Remission Diet is whether the sick person wants to follow it. Unfortunately, you can have a whole lot of emotional stuff that can impede any benefit from the physical food source if the person getting it feels like it's being "forced" on them. Kyle really does need to be on board...

I hope that's of some help and comfort; I wish there was a magic wand I could wave.

Warmly,
Nicole
Any application of the recommendations in this post is at the reader's discretion. Nicole Paull & Caramal Publishing Inc. are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this post. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this post.
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Hello,

The nodosums aren't gone completely...but there nature is to linger for 4 to 6 weeks. Something that seemed to reduce inflammation and pain faster is this product called Wobenzym N. The Wobenzym N is for decreasing inflammation in the body. It contains the following: Pancreatin, papain, bromelain, trypsin, chymotrypsin, and rutoside trihydrate (rutin).

Before I purchased more Wobenzyme N, I wanted to know what your opinion was of this product? Any adverse effects to his healing from Crohns?

Thanks.

Jeannie
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Hi, Jeannie.

I'm glad to hear that the nodosums are improving!

I've asked Jini to answer your question about Wobenzyme N...she's done some research lately about enzymes.

Stay tuned!

All the best,
Nicole
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Jini Admin

Hi Jeannie,

I think the Wobenzym should be fine to take as the enzymes are not cultured on aspergillus mold - that was my main concern about digestive enzymes previously. Also, these are not primarily digestive enzymes, but proteolytic enzymes - and the company is German, which gives me confidence.

Please let us know how he does on them, as it sounds very encouraging.

Now, please refresh my memory - for Kyle's anal fissures, have you tried these suppositories yet?:
Quote:
HemorrHeal - Rectal Suppositories for Anal Stenosis, Strictures or Internal Hemorrhoids

• 20 drops (1/4 tsp) potassium iodide (also known as SSKI)
  • 1 ounce (2 tbsp) cocoa butter, melted
  • 1/4 tsp. 70% DMSO

I get my DMSO from here:
http://www.tahomadispensary.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=03869!253

And I get my potassium iodide from here (important to get the correct form and not Lugol's, etc.):
http://www.tahomadispensary.com/istar.asp?a=29&search=sski&x=0&y=0

I get my organic cocoa butter from here:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi...02936&BID=8039
We've found that when the fissures are due to infection (rather than trauma) that this formula works better than FissureHeal because it addresses the infection and then the tissue automatically heals. The cocoa butter means that the rectum is kept well lubricated, so not aggravated by bowel movements. Insert at night or when rectum is least likely to be disturbed.

These work REALLY well (and fast 1-2 weeks) so I really encourage you to make up some and give it a try.

Regarding elemental diet with raw milk - I find its always better/easier to be proactive than reactive. So if it looks like things are intensifying, then sure, switch back to elemental for while, then back to semi-elemental, etc. If you respond quickly to the body's needs you will speed healing time.

Jeannie - why don't you yourself work with Annabel? I've found with my kids, when I shift/heal myself, my kids often automatically shift/heal without having to address them directly anyway.

Lastly, have you tried applying either wild oregano or the dmso, silver etc mixture directly to the erythema nodosum? Please try it (if you wish) and let us know how it works.

best,
Jini
Jini Patel Thompson is an internationally recognized expert on natural healing methods for digestive diseases. Her books have sold into more than 40 countries worldwide. However, she is not a registered health professional nor doctor of any sort. The information in this posting is simply her own personal opinion. www.listen2yourgut.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Jini Patel Thompson and Caramal Publishing Inc. (DBA Caramal Holistic Health) are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email.
Unread 04-22-2010, 03:15 PM

Hey Jini,

The Wobenzym seems to be the trick for the nodosums anyway. Kyle takes three tablets three times a day. I figured since the inflammation has been an ongoing problem that this along with the George's Aloe Vera should help "cool down the fire."

Kyle has not tried the HemorrHeal suppositories yet. I haven't seen any obvious signs of infection but I assume some must still be there since his anus tissue looks quite irregular (lots of pockets for poop to get in). The bumps just seem to open up and expose raw tissue.

We already have the recommended iodide and DMSO from Tahoma dispensary. And, I noticed the Mountain Home Rose Herbs company that sells the cocoa butter is right here in Eugene, Oregon where we live. So, should be able to get Kyle started on this right away. Two questions: 1) when making the suppositories, any special trick to pouring them in the straw and taking them out of the straw? 2) Will the iodide burn like the WOO does on that raw tissue?

Regarding switching to an elemental diet, this will be up to Kyle. He and I see things differently though. My rationale is the same as yours...Be Proactive. Kyle has been unlike most of the folks on the forum with Crohn's. He doesn't show blood much....his main symptom is malnutrition (weighs 90 lbs at a Ht. of 5'6"). And, since he hasn't gained any weight for 6 weeks now, I use that as a monitor for when he might need to go back to the elemental diet for maybe 2 weeks. I figure if he waits too long, then he will have to be on it for the full 6 to 8 weeks again. Knowing my history of being the controlling mom, I am allowing Kyle to make the decisions. I figure my role is to help find possible solutions, and to help Kyle implement the ones he chooses.

Yes, I have been considering talking to Annabel again. She was quite helpful in the past. And, I agree that if I could get to a place of trust with myself and Kyle that we would have less confrontations about his needs for healing.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Jeannie
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Hi, Jeannie.

I've asked Jini to respond to your two questions.

Just wanted to let you know we were on the case.

Take care,
Nicole
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Jini Admin

Hi Jeannie,

I find it works best to mix the suppositories in a glass measuring cup with a pour spout.

Then use a very small funnel (that fits into the top of the straw) to pour the mixture in.

You may have to put these in the fridge (or cool garage) to get them to set properly. Then when you need to remove them, run the straw under hot water for about 2 seconds. Then push the suppository out by squeezing from the bottom of the straw and up towards the opening, onto a piece of wax paper. Let them set again, then break into desired length and wrap in tin foil or wax paper.

The sski does sting a bit, but only for a few seconds - the effect is greatly reduced though by the cocoa butter, which buffers it.

You may want to fold a kleenex into a square and put it against Kyle's underpants to soak up any leakage for the first 1/2 hour or so - unless he's lying down and then there may not be any leakage.

J
Jini Patel Thompson is an internationally recognized expert on natural healing methods for digestive diseases. Her books have sold into more than 40 countries worldwide. However, she is not a registered health professional nor doctor of any sort. The information in this posting is simply her own personal opinion. www.listen2yourgut.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Jini Patel Thompson and Caramal Publishing Inc. (DBA Caramal Holistic Health) are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email.