Forums

Go Back   Forums > Main Forum > Members Forum

Unread 05-20-2009, 06:33 PM

Default Vitamin D and IBD

Vitamin D has been implicated in a broad range of physiological functions including IBD. Levels tend to vary inversely with latitude ( as perhaps does the incidence of IBD as well). A large percentage of North Americans are estimated to be deficient.... which is more realistically defined as blood levels below 45-50 nanograms per ml rather than a particular dosing level. (A number of proponents suggest that > 4000 IU vitamin D per day are safe and may be requires to attain those values.)

What is your understanding of recommendations for IBD -ers... in general and while bleeding and recovering from a flareup?

Thanks,

Steve
Unread 05-20-2009, 06:45 PM

Hi, Steve.

Jini's recommendations are:

2,000 IU Vitamin D daily for fair-skinned individuals
3,000 IU Vitamin D daily for people with a medium complexion
4,000 IU Vitamin D daily for people with naturally dark skin

I take 2,000 IU daily and I believe that Jini takes 4,000 IU daily.

During the summer, I only take a 2,000 IU capsule every other day, as I'm out in the sun a fair bit during the good weather and generally don't wear sunscreen.

I really don't have the knowledge to say with surety whether it would be advisable to take 4,000 IU Vitamin D daily if you're in a deficient state. If it were me, I'd be comfortable taking the higher dosage, even though I'm very fair-skinned - but only if I was also having my blood levels checked with regularity, so that I could scale back right away on the dosage as my levels became higher. Too much Vitamin D is as problematic as not enough.

I'll also ask Jini to comment on this for you.

All the best,
Nicole
Any application of the recommendations in this post is at the reader's discretion. Nicole Paull & Caramal Publishing Inc. are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this post. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this post.
Unread 05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Jini Admin

Hi Steve,

I would think you'd be safe at 4,000 IU per day for a year or so, then get it checked. Mercola has instructions on his site for exactly how to get your vit.D levels checked: www.mercola.com - just use the search function on his site.

The Orthomolecular Medicine site is another good source of info:
http://www.orthomed.org/

take care.
Jini Patel Thompson is an internationally recognized expert on natural healing methods for digestive diseases. Her books have sold into more than 40 countries worldwide. However, she is not a registered health professional nor doctor of any sort. The information in this posting is simply her own personal opinion. www.listen2yourgut.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Jini Patel Thompson and Caramal Publishing Inc. (DBA Caramal Holistic Health) are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email.

Tags
jini